Becoming an adoptive parent
Are You Interested in Adopting?
Since 1983, Idaho Youth Ranch has worked with adoptive parents to provide loving, stable homes for newborns and older children alike. We know that adopting a child into your family can be overwhelming, but our experienced social workers are here to provide guidance, advocacy, and education throughout the entire process.
There are many options when it comes to adopting a child. To give you support and control in your adoptive journey, Idaho Youth Ranch works directly with you to help you chose the right type of adoption for your family.
The Idaho Adoption Home Study Process
Each state requires that all prospective adoptive parents participate in a home study.
The home study is a detailed, written report which is compiled and prepared through a series of meetings or interviews to create a complete picture of life in your family.
The home study process is designed to achieve three goals:
- To evaluate the suitability of the adoptive family
- To educate and prepare the family for adoption
- To gather information about the adoptive family that will better help the social worker match the family with a child whose needs they can meet
While this may seem rather daunting, it is helpful to remember that adoption agencies are not seeking perfect parents. They are looking for real people who can provide love and stability for real children. Flexibility and a sense of humor are vital components for raising children, and these same characteristics will be valuable when you and your social worker navigate the adoption process.
The home study consists of the following components:
- Training (content will vary depending on the type of adoption)
- Provision of information regarding personal family history, current family composition, parenting philosophy, motivation and readiness for adoption
- Health and income statements; personal references
- Criminal history and child abuse register clearances
- Provision of birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees (if applicable) and recent tax returns
- A review of your neighborhood and community resources
- Home visits and interviews with other family members
The Idaho Youth Ranch Adoptions staff conducts home studies for all types of adoptions. Collectively, our staff of experts has over 50 years of experience in providing specialized adoption services. Together, they can provide you with support and information throughout your adoption journey.
Looking for more information?
Find helpful resources below for all of your adoption questions.
- General Adoption Info
- Special Needs Adoption
- Internation Adoption (IYR Partnering Agencies)
- Embryo Adoption
- Adoptive Families Magazine
- Criminal History Unit
- Child Welfare Information Gateway:
- Database of agencies, support group directories, and fact sheets regarding state laws and adoption processes
- Inter-Country Adoptions
- Department of State’s Adoption
- U.S. State Department
- Summaries of international adoption laws, requirements, and processes
- American Adoption Congress
- Open adoption records and information regarding adoption reform
- Adoption Learning Partners