Although you received an update on Saturday, March 14th regarding the coronavirus and COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, we are sending this message prior to next Friday’s regular communication, as we have additional and timely information to share with you. All supervisors should post this message and personally share it with any of their staff who do not have a personal work email.
IYR Specific Information:
Special Notice: Pandemic Emergency Sick Leave. Given the unusual nature of this virus and its declaration by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a Pandemic, IYR wants to provide all staff the ability to be responsible citizens and family members, following all Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health department guidelines. Therefore, effective immediately we are providing all staff with additional sick leave to allow for caring for Pandemic-related illness for oneself or a family member(s), quarantine due to possible COVID-19 exposure, and/or childcare for a dependent whose school or regular child care is interrupted.
For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic emergency period (as defined by the local health authority), this optional “leave with pay” benefit is available to all IYR employees. The amount of pandemic emergency sick leave is a total of 80 hours for a full-time employee and will be pro-rated for part-time employees based on normal hours worked in a two-week period.
A few important notes:
- Staff may begin using Emergency Pandemic Sick Leave immediately, including retroactively to the start of the current pay period.
- Whenever possible, supervisors may authorize staff to work remotely (e.g., from home). In these cases, time worked will be recorded and paid as normal, and there is no need to use Pandemic Emergency Sick Leave, PTO, or your normal sick leave or vacation.
- The attachment gives more detail about eligibility and how to use this Pandemic Emergency Sick Leave, as well as how it will be entered in Novatime, our time-keeping software.
- We know that this challenge is going to take the efforts of everyone in our communities to overcome. Thank you for doing your part.
- We also know that our value of Commitment, particularly our commitment to our mission, will drive all of us to use this Pandemic Emergency Sick Leave responsibly and with integrity:
- Follow all CDC guidelines for when you should be staying home from work. Supervisors will enforce these guidelines with all employees.
- Only use this benefit for circumstances related to COVID-19.
- Return to work as quickly as you are able (according to CDC guidelines). We need you!
- The federal government is working on legislation that may impact our employees or cause us to adapt this emergency sick leave plan. If that happens, we will communicate this out to all staff.